A Dog Days of Summer Moment

It's hot out there. Really hot. It has made me a bit more of a morning person lately because it feels so refreshing to throw open the windows and the back door and let the cool morning air drift in.

As the sun rises into the clear, blue sky, the temperature rises with it. It makes it more challenging to figure out what to cook for dinner or even what to have for lunch, because it's just too hot to cook.

These are just the kind of days that make Iced Tea a must. In the early afternoon, I'll take a  bit of a break and sit in the shade with good, old Eddie dog - me sipping on some iced tea, him soaking in the sun.

Edward Dog Days of Summer

I had always thought the Dog Days of Summer were an observation of how dogs will just lounge around in the hottest days of the summer with no intention of doing anything else as the mercury rises (I can relate to that!). Apparently, what it's actually referring to is the time of year when Sirius, the Dog Star, rises at the same time as the sun. In this part of the world, this happens around July 3 - August 11. Either way, it's the time of year when we're looking for ways to cool down.

Growing up, my mom always had this enormous glass, screw top jar that she'd fill with water and a million tea bags and set out on the back patio to steep in the sun. "Sun tea" is what we called it. We'd drink it all day. These days, I tend to do something similar, though I'll use whatever loose leaf tea I'm craving that day. It's a waiting game. These teas need plenty of time to steep in that sun-warmed water. Today, however, I'm enjoying The des Sources from Palais des Thes, which doesn't require the hours of patience that I've honed in past summers. Chinese green tea, mint, and a hint of bergamot, I am refreshed by this Moroccan inspired blend. 30 minutes in room temperature water is all that is required by these Iced Tea Bags. Brilliant.

So here Ed and I sit, he in the sun, I in the shade with iced tea in hand. No matter how you slice it, these are indeed the Dog Days of Summer, and today I wouldn't want to share them with any other dog (or any other tea, for that matter).

Comments